Prevention of disease and preservation of health depend to a large extent upon the environment in which people are born, grow, school, eat, drink, travel, work and relax. This is true and valid even after making due allowance after making due allowance for all modern advancement in the methods of increasing the resistance of man to particular diseases by medical immunization. One may use immunization in an emergency to resist a particular outbreak of cholera, typhoid or plague, but lasting protection against these diseases can be achieved only by protected water supply and hygienic disposal of human excreta, by ensuring that food is prepared and consumed under hygienic conditions without being contaminated by flies or carriers, and by reducing chances for rats to live in too close proximity to man.
The environment of the community has to be modified to achieve permanent control over mosquito bred diseases.
The Public Health Engineering Department performs this essential function. Immunization and provision of a hygienic environment are complementary measures towards the prevention of diseases and promotion of health.
The benefits of immunization are immediate and often temporary. The effects of hygienic environment are more lasting though perceived more slowly.
The ingredients of a decent human environment are many, out of which facilities supply of safe potable and pleasant water, to sustain life and keep clean and disposal of sewage and other wastes in an hygienic way are of vital importance and here the Public Health Engineering Department comes in the picture. Thus this department plays a very vital role in environmental hygiene.
The Public Health Engineering Department is an independent department under Government of Madhya Pradesh. The major activities of the department are enumerated below:-
- Survey, investigation, preparation and execution of water supply schemes for towns & villages;
- Survey, investigation, preparation and execution of sewerage and sewage disposal schemes for towns;
- Execution of rural sanitation schemes;
- Supply of safe drinking water at places of Fair;
- Coordination in prevention of pollution of water bodies due to discharge of industrial wastes;
- Giving technical advice to various Government departments and local bodies on Public Health Engineering topics.