The Public Health Engineering Department is an independent department under Government of Madhya Pradesh. The major activities of the department are enumerated below:-
Public Health Engineering Department, implemented drinking water supply schemes to ensure clean and potable drinking water in the rural areas of the state, as per the provisions of National Rural Drinking Water Program. Under this program, drinking ware supply scheme has been executed in rural habitations, schools, anganwadis and quality affected habitations as per the stated policy / norms of the government.
- Survey, investigation, preparation and execution of water supply schemes for villages to provide safe and potable water.
- Maintenance and Conservation of Rural Hand pump Schemes.
- Implementation and execution of Pipe Water Supply schemes in the villages as per the policy of the state government.
- Implementation and execution for pure and safe water supply schemes from alternative sources in drinking water quality affected areas.
- Drinking water arrangements in tribal ashram-hostels, anganwadis and rural schools.
- Implementation of ground water recharge and enrichment schemes and rainwater harvesting schemes etc for the stability of the sources of water supply schemes.
- Renewing conventional water resources and making them useful for drinking water supply.
- Monitoring and evaluation of water quality of drinking water sources.
- Implementation of support Activities.
- Exploration, Survey, Execution of water Supply Scheme and sewage disposal schemes in urban areas on request of urban bodies. Execution of schemes as deposit work.